Map Location – #3
181 Redcliffe Road, Beech Island, SC 29842
This four-story Greek-Revival plantation home was constructed in 1859 by Augusta, Ga., contractor William Goodrich for SC Gov. James Henry Hammond. The mansion is the centerpiece of a 400-acre country estate that was originally supported by at least three working plantations in the area totaling 14,000 acres. Hammond and three generations of his descendants used the estate for relaxation, entertaining and agricultural experimentation. John Shaw Billings, Hammond’s great-grandson, was the last owner of Redcliffe, and he donated the house and its collections to the State of South Carolina in 1973. Redcliffe contains approximately 4,000 pieces of artwork, books, furnishings and textiles that belonged to four generations of Hammonds.
TOUR TIMES: 11 a.m. & 1 & 3 p.m. ONLY!
Choose Another Tour Location